The Imperial Theatre’s “Mighty Wurlitzer” is a landmark within an Augusta landmark.
The Imperial Theatre’s Mighty Wurlitzer Organ returned home to Augusta 6 years ago from Marietta. The Rudolf Wurlitzer Company, which custom made organs for the leading theatres of the country, installed the organ in the Imperial Theatre in 1925. The “Mighty Wurlitzer” theatre organ was designed as a “one man orchestra” to accompany silent movies.
The Wurlitzer organ will eventually occupy a space in the orchestra pit with a lifting mechanism which will raise the organ up into view during performances as well as a vacuum blower for the organ which will be located under the stage. The two alcoves which border the stage will contain the organ pipe work, drums, bells, horns and many other effects – all sounds are created by real instruments and will not be synthesized. In addition, there will be a master xylophone about six feet long. When installed in a private residence in Marietta, GA, all of the organ parts were operational. As a later component of our ongoing fundraising efforts, the Imperial plans to clean and restore all of the parts in order to assure that this valuable piece of musical Americana is restored to its original condition.
Be sure to take a look at the console which currently sits at the rear of the seating area. Please call ahead to make arrangements to visit the Mighty Wurlitzer during non-show times at 706-722-8293. Educational tours for schoolchildren are available on request.